Homecare Monroe NJ
Being active is an essential part of homecare and living a healthy and fulfilling lifestyle. Getting out of the house and enjoying a wide range of activities for seniors is a critical part of keeping their mind sharp and active, their body healthy and strong, and their emotional health high and balanced. For many elderly adults, however, staying active gets more challenging as they get older. One of the most effective ways that you can help your aging parent stay healthier and more active is by encouraging them to use public transportation. These methods are not only great for your parent, but they are also better for the environment as they choose to leave a personal form of transportation at home.
Using public transportation enables a senior who is not able to drive any longer to still make their own decisions regarding where they are going to go, what they are going to do, and when they are going to go those places and do those things. This means that they are able to live a more active life without having to worry about scheduling their activities and events around your time restraints. This gives them an emotional boost and lets them feel more independent, more in control, and more relevant to the world around them.
Use these tips to help your parent enjoy a healthier, more active lifestyle by using public transportation:
- Find all of the options. Research your parent’s area to find all of the different options for public transportation. The more options that are available, the more likely they are to use those options for different activities and events. For example, your parent might be able to use the bus for some things while they need a subway for another. Also take into consideration less conventional options, such as ride sharing companies.
- Know the routes. Once you know what types of public transportation are available, research the different routes that your parent can use. Find a map and study it with them so that you can identify the proper stops, routes, and transfer spots so that your parent knows how to get to the places that they need to go most often. Consider writing down the different routes so that your parent can access them when they want to go to the various places.
- Provide fare. Contact the different forms of transportation and inquire about senior discounts, frequent fare cards, and other options. Make paying for their trip as easy as possible by providing their fare in the form of a card or pass as often as possible. This will help them to feel as in control as possible.
- Consider help. Empowering your parent to use public transportation is just part of making sure that they use it to the maximum benefit. Homecare can be the other part. Having an in home senior care services provider with them will allow your parent to go further and feel more confident, especially if they are suffering from cognitive limitations and challenges such as due to Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Homecare in Monroe NJ, please contact the caring staff at Alpine Home Care. In PA call 888-743-0068. In NJ call (855) 410-1404.
Tom Smith, President & CEO
areas – hospice and home health care, medical devices, medical equipment, infusion therapy and behavioral
health, in addition to positions at major health systems and large acute-care Integrated Delivery Networks
Latest posts by Tom Smith, President & CEO (see all)
- What Can I Do for You? : Seeking Out Help from Those Around You - July 22, 2016
- Unexpected Signs that Your Elderly Parent Might be Dealing with Depression - July 21, 2016
- Honoring the Surviving Spouse of a Veteran on Military Holidays - July 15, 2016